The CPA / DeGroote Centre for the Promotion of Accounting Education and Research
The centre’s primary purpose is to encourage research, scholarly development and professional activities in the field of accounting. It promotes the development of critical thinking skills, professional judgment, ethical values and communication skills.
Some activities of the centre:
- Sponsoring accounting-related events on campus, such as guest speakers and workshops.
- Organizing professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
- Holding an annual reception to promote professional networking and to recognize student research accomplishments.
- Supporting faculty and student research through grants.
- Organizing an annual one-day research conference.
The DeGroote School of Business has had a long-standing relationship with CPA Ontario. The Honours Commerce program and the Accounting and Financial Management Services specialization of the MBA program were accredited by CPA Ontario in February 2010. The accreditation of the joint research centre builds on this relationship. It also expands DeGroote’s reputation with respect to accounting research and education, and accentuates the reputation of its accounting graduates.
- Brian Leader, FCA Vice-President of Learning CPA Ontario
- John Pryke, Partner, KPMG Hamilton
- Norman Baxter, Tax Director, Ford Credit Canada Limited
- Lilian Chan, Professor and Chair, Accounting & Financial Management
- Justin Jin, Assistant Professor, Accounting & Financial Management
- Susan McCracken, Associate Professor, Accounting & Financial Management
The centre has supported the following research projects:
- Giri Kanagaretnam and Gerald Lobo (The effectiveness of accounting based risk measures in predicting bank troubles: Evidence from the recent financial crisis)
- Lilian Chan and H-T Hao (Research in Motion (RIM) – Governance at Risk!?)
- Justin Jin (The impact of national culture and institutional environment on information precision)
- Nick Bontis (Accounting for Intangible Assets in a Bank: A Canadian Case)
- Kevin Veenstra (Is a CEO Letter to Shareholders Really that Significant? Goal Setting Theory, Implicit Motives, and their Interaction Effect on Firm Performance)
- Khalid Nainar (IFRS Adoption and Earnings Management)
- Susan McCracken and Tim Bauer (Auditing Accounting Estimates: An Experiential Study of Auditors and Management)
- Kevin Veenstra, Alistair Lawrence and Heather Li (Revenue Recognition Note Disclosure: Insights into Firm Accounting Quality and Financial Performance)
- Justin Jin and Giri Kanagaretnam (Accounting Conservatism, Bank Risk Taking and Earnings Management)
- Emad Mohammad and Giri Kanagaretnam (Implementation of Incurred Loss Model for Banks: Effects of Institutional Factors)
The centre has provided research awards to the following students:
- James Steels (The use of the revaluation model in the Canadian commercial real estate industry)
- Dhaval Patel (Accounting and Auditing: What We Have Learned from the Financial Crisis)
- Xiaoxuan He ( Motivation in voluntary financial disclosure: An examination of the Canadian uranium industry)
The centre also sponsors the DeGroote School of Business Alumni Accounting Reception, the UFE Convocation Reception and the McMaster Accounting Symposium.
Aug27Ron Joyce Centre, South Service Road, Burlington, ON, CanadaSep2Ron Joyce Centre, South Service Road, Burlington, ON, CanadaSep5Grand Ballroom, The National Club, 303 Bay Street, Toronto, ON M5H 2R1Sep16Great Hall, Ron Joyce Center, 4350 South Service Road, Burlington,ON L7L 4X5, CanadaSep23Great Hall , Ron Joyce Centre, 4350 South Service Road, Burlington, ON L7L 4X5, CanadaView Calendar
Knowledge @ DeGroote