The CPA / DeGroote Centre for the Promotion of Accounting Education and Research
The CPA/DeGroote Centre for the Promotion of Accounting Education and Research is a joint venture of CPA Ontario and McMaster University. McMaster is one of one of only eight Ontario universities in the province with a joint centre and accredited accounting programs.
The centre’s primary purpose is to encourage research, scholarly development and professional activities in the field of accounting. It promotes the development of critical thinking skills, professional judgment, ethical values and communication skills.
Some activities of the centre:
- Sponsoring accounting-related events on campus, such as guest speakers and workshops.
- Organizing professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
- Holding an annual reception to promote professional networking and to recognize successful CFE candidates.
- Supporting faculty and PhD student research through grants.
- Organizing an annual one-day research conference.
- Sponsoring student scholarships for Graduate Diploma in Accounting students
The DeGroote School of Business has had a long-standing relationship with CPA Ontario. The Honours Commerce program and the Accounting and Financial Management Services specialization of the MBA program were accredited by CPA Ontario in February 2014 (CPA Accredited Program). The accreditation of the joint research centre builds on this relationship. It also expands DeGroote’s reputation with respect to accounting research and education, and accentuates the reputation of its accounting graduates.
- Brian Leader, FCPA, FCA
- John Pryke, Partner, KPMG Hamilton, CPA, CA
- Norman Baxter, Tax Director, Ford Credit Canada Limited, CPA, CA
- Khalid Nainar, Professor, Accounting & Financial Management
- Justin Jin, Assistant Professor, Accounting & Financial Management
- Susan McCracken, Associate Professor, Accounting & Financial Management, CPA, CA
The centre has supported the following research projects:
- Kevin Veenstra, Yanju Liu and Hai Lu (Is Attractiveness Always a Virtue?
The Impact of Beauty on Career Success in Academia)
- Mohamed Shehata, Stuart Mestelman and Kiridaran Kanagaretnam (The Adequacy of Loan Loss (or Bad Debt) Provisions Under Principles- vs. Rules-Based Accounting Models And Their Effects on Earnings Management)
- Susan McCracken and Carolyn MacTavish (Audit Committees: A silent third party in the negotiation process)
- Emad Mohammad and Giri Kanagaretnam (Implementation of Incurred Loss Model for Banks: Effects of Institutional Factors)
- Justin Jin and Giri Kanagaretnam (Accounting Conservatism, Bank Risk Taking and Earnings Management)
- Kevin Veenstra, Alistair Lawrence and Heather Li (Revenue Recognition Note Disclosure: Insights into Firm Accounting Quality and Financial Performance)
- Susan McCracken and Tim Bauer (Auditing Accounting Estimates: An Experiential Study of Auditors and Management)
- Khalid Nainar (IFRS Adoption and Earnings Management)
- Kevin Veenstra (Is a CEO Letter to Shareholders Really that Significant? Goal Setting Theory, Implicit Motives, and their Interaction Effect on Firm Performance)
- Nick Bontis (Accounting for Intangible Assets in a Bank: A Canadian Case)
- Justin Jin (The impact of national culture and institutional environment on information precision)
- Lilian Chan and H-T Hao (Research in Motion (RIM) – Governance at Risk!?)
- Giri Kanagaretnam and Gerald Lobo (The effectiveness of accounting based risk measures in predicting bank troubles: Evidence from the recent financial crisis)
The centre has provided research awards to the following students:
- James Steels (The use of the revaluation model in the Canadian commercial real estate industry)
- Dhaval Patel (Accounting and Auditing: What We Have Learned from the Financial Crisis)
- Xiaoxuan He ( Motivation in voluntary financial disclosure: An examination of the Canadian uranium industry)
The centre also sponsors the DeGroote School of Business Alumni Accounting Reception, the CFE Convocation Reception and the McMaster Accounting Symposium.