- Management Science
Alireza joined the Ph.D. program at the DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, in September 2012. He received a master’s degree in Industrial Engineering from the Sharif University of Technology. His primary research interests lie in the area of supply chain management, performance measurement mechanisms, and sustainability. The topic of environmental sustainability has been of great interest for the last decade both in academia and among industry practitioners. In recent years, many governments have taken actions to motivate firms to reduce their environmental and social impacts. It is unclear, however, how successful policy makers and governments have been in reducing these impacts. This raises the question “how can policy makers play an effective role in helping businesses become more sustainable, while taking into account the financial goals of these businesses?” The focus of Alireza’s research is to generate insights into the field of sustainability which balances economic benefits (Profit), environmental issues (Planet), and social expectations (People). He is interested in examining market-based emissions regulations and studying ways to implement these policies with the goal of inducing the use of green technologies while taking into account the perspectives of governments, businesses, and customers. This study can provide insights to both policy makers and industry leaders on ways to reduce pollution by incentivizing more sustainable businesses, while penalizing less sustainable ones.
Supervisor: Elkafi Hassini
- Ph.D. Candidate, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University (2012-Present)
- M.Sc., Industrial Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2008 (Thesis: Sports Scheduling Problems – an Integer Linear Programming Approach).
- B.Sc., Mathematics, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, 2006.
- Theoretical and Applied Operations Research (Integer/Nonlinear Programming and Metaheuristics)
- Supply Chain Management (with a focus on Sustainability and Performance Measurement)
- Upstream Environment-friendly Regulations and Game-theoretic Mechanisms
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Green Technologies
- Business Analytics, Project Management, Financial Engineering, and Scheduling
- Operations Management, Quantitative Methods, Analytical Studies, Decision Analyses, Service-based Applications, Mathematical Modeling, and Linear/Integer/Nonlinear Programming
- Supply Chain Management, Inventory and Production Management, and Procurement and Logistics
- Project Management, Business Analytics, Stochastic Processes, Probability and Statistics, Scheduling
As a Senior Financial Consultant with Farab Company, the General Contractor of Hydro Power Projects in Iran, Alireza has developed Financial Analyses for industrial investment projects.
- Developed a software package analyzing profitability of investment projects and long-term cash-flow plans
- Documented financial feasibility reports as well as advised on the financial aspect of contracts/calls for tenders
- Developed project schedules during the tender/negotiation phase and performed analyses on annual budgeting
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). A data envelopment analysis approach to evaluate sustainability in supply chain networks. Journal of Cleaner Production, 105, 74-85.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). Performance measurement of sustainable supply chains: a review and research questions. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 64(6), 744-783.
- Tajbakhsh, A., Eshghi, K., & Shamsi, A. (2012). A hybrid PSO-SA algorithm for the travelling tournament problem. European Journal of Industrial Engineering, 6(1), 2-25.
- Tajbakhsh, A., Eshghi, K., & Shamsi, A. (2009). A hybrid PSO-SA algorithm for the traveling tournament problem. In International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering (CIE), Troyes, France.
- Shamsi, A., Modarres, M., & Tajbakhsh, A. (2009). Using worst-case conditional value at risk to robust multi-period portfolio optimization. In International Industrial Engineering Conference (IIEC), Tehran, Iran.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Shamsi, A. (2009). Calculus for Industrial Engineering Students. Arshad Press, Iran.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). Two-stage data envelopment analysis with heterogeneous intermediate values. European Journal of Operational Research (under the second round of review).
- Tajbakhsh, A. (2015). Sustainable supply chain management: leading perspectives of OR/OM journals.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). State-of-art of literature reviews on sustainability practices in supply chain management.
- Tajbakhsh, A. (2015). Humanitarian logistics: a game of donation agencies and supply chains.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). An oligopolistic emissions trading system with uncertain demand.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). An oligopolistic emissions trading system with uncertain demand. In Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2015). Evaluating sustainability performance of fossil-fuel power plants. In Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS) Annual Conference, Montreal, Canada. [Finalist in Student Paper Competition]
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2014). A branch-reduce-bound to solve a G-DEA model for measuring sustainability in supply chains. In Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS) Annual Conference, Ottawa, Canada.
- Tajbakhsh, A., & Hassini, E. (2013). Measuring sustainability in a supply chain. In New Innovations in Supply Chain Performance and Sustainability Measurement Conference, Burlington, Canada.