- Information Systems
- PhD Program
Fariba joined the DeGroote PhD program in September 2015. She successfully defended her research proposal in September 2016 and is currently working towards defending her degree.
Fariba’s research is focused on the use of new technologies for impression management and place branding. She has adapted a multidisciplinary lens that integrates the fields of information systems, marketing, strategy and urban geography. More specifically, she investigates how to use innovative technologies (e.g. digital storytelling, proximity-based technologies, and social media) to influence people’s perception and raise interest and awareness.
Fariba has background in both Engineering (B.Eng, M.Sc.) and Business (MBA). Moreover, she has more than 10 years of working experience in the research and industry environment, which helps her take a practical, real-world approach to her research.
Supervisor: Brian Detlor
- PhD in Business Administration (ABD), DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University
- MBA, Program and Project Management, APIC, Australia
- M.Sc., Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
- B.Sc., Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
Sessional Faculty/ Instructor/ Lecturer:
- Business Intelligence/Data Modelling, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University
- Introduction to Big Data Analytics, Chang School, Ryerson University.
- Project Management, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University.
- Principles of Marketing, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University.
- Project Management: AIRIC research & Innovation Center.
- Professional Project Management: Rahbaran Managerial Training.
Pedagogic Innovation and/or Development of Technology-Enhanced Learning:
- Incorporation of online learning activities in courses
- Development and use of online tools for teaching (e.g., D2L Brightspace, McGraw-Hill Connect, Blackboard, Avenue2Learn, Lynda.com, WebEx, Camtasia). This includes conversion of 4KF3 “Project Management” to an online/blended format and use of McGraw-Hill’s Connect.
- K731: Project management
- 4KF3: Project management
- MKT 700: Business intelligence/data modelling
- ITM 102: Business information systems
- ITM 107: Managerial decision making
- ITM 330: Supply chain management
- ITM 410: Business process design
- ITM 500: Data and Information Management
- ITM 750: IT project management
- IND 708: Information systems analysis and design
Peer Reviewed Conference paper:
- Detlor, B., Nosrati, F., & Crippa, C. (2017). Connecting People with their Communities through Proximity-Based Digital Storytelling, ASIST 2017, Washington, DC, Oct. 27-Nov 1, 2017.
- Detlor, B., Nosrati, F., & Crippa, C. (2017). Digital Storytelling and the Use of iBeacon Technologies by Libraries: How to Promote Citizen Interest in a City and its Cultural Heritage, Proceedings of the i3 (information: interactions and impact) Conference, Aberdeen, Scotland, June 27-30.
- Nosrati, F., Detlor, B., & Crippa, C. (2017). The Use of iBeacon Proximity-Based Technologies by Libraries to Foster City Cultural Heritage, Proceedings of the Canadian Association of Information Science (CAIS) 2017 Conference, Toronto, Ontario, May 31-June 2.
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2016). The strategic use of digital storytelling for place branding, Proceedings of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) 2016 Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, June 4-6.
- Nosrati, F., Lak, P., & Bener, A. (2014). Competency Based Education in Data Science and Big Data Analytics, Proceedings of the Big Data & Analytics Education Conference, USA.
Peer Reviewed Journal paper:
- Nosrati, F., Crippa, C. & Detlor, B. (2017). Connecting People with City Cultural Heritage through Proximity-Based Digital Storytelling. Journal of Librarianship & Information Science (In press).
Research Project Report:
- Nosrati, F., & Mashayekhy, M. (2015). Big Data Analytics in Marketing: A Competency Based Framework for Marketing Professionals.
- Nosrati, F. (2015). Use of digital Storytelling for Strategic Place Branding.
- Nosrati, F. (2015). Business Intelligence and Big Data: Challenges and opportunities from data mining perspective.
- Nosrati, F., Samarikhalaj, A., & Lak, P. (2014). A Self-Organizing Dynamic Network Model to Increase the Efficiency of Outdoor Digital Billboards (Dynamic pricing approach).
- Nosrati, F. (2014). Patient Flow Performance Information Assessment.
Work in Progress/working paper:
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2018). The Role of Media on User Satisfaction with City Cultural Digital Stories: A Case Study. (Submitted)
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2018). Destination Make-Over: The Use of Proximity-Based Digital Storytelling for Place Branding In Hamilton Canada. (Submitted)
Learning Technology Symposium. MacPherson Institute, McMaster Innovation Park:
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2017). Towards the Future of Education and Learning at McMaster through Online/Blended Teaching.
University of Tehran, Science and Technology Park:
- Nosrati, F. (2017). Workshop: Innovative business ideas in the age of big data- Competing in a data driven world.
- Nosrati, F. (2017). Research Seminar: How to use innovative technologies to influence people’s perception of a place and raise interest and awareness?
DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University:
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2017). DeGroote IS Lunch and Learn. The Use of iBeacon Proximity-Based Technologies by Libraries to Foster City Cultural Heritage.
- Nosrati, F. (2017). DeGroote Research Day. The Use of iBeacon Proximity-Based Technologies.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). DeGroote IS Lunch and Learn. Digital Storytelling: A Case Study of Hamilton’s Digital Storytelling Initiative.
Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship, McMaster University:
- Nosrati, F. (2016). The Use of Digital Storytelling for Impression Management by City Cultural Organizations.
PMQA (Persica Management and Quality Association):
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Introduction to Big Data and its application in various industries.
Ryerson Data Science Lab:
- Nosrati, F. (2014). Personalized Medicine from Data Science Perspective.
- Nosrati, F. (2014). Healthcare Big Data Analytics: Using data effectively to improve quality of care and patient safety.
- Nosrati, F. (2014). Data Mining in Healthcare.
- Nosrati, F. (2013). Performance Improvement in Hospitals Emergency Departments: Using Queuing Theory.
- Nosrati, F. (2013). Big Data in Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU).