- Strategic Management
Hongjin Zhu is an associate professor of strategic management at the DeGroote School of Business. Hongjin’s research focuses on the influence of interfirm networks, business-government relations, and board of directors on corporate strategy and outcomes, particularly in emerging economies. She has published in leading academic journals including the Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, and Journal of Business Ethics. She has won the Best Paper Award at the Academy of International Business conference and the Best Reviewer Award from the Management and Organization Review.
- Ph.D., Strategic Management, National University of Singapore
- B. A., Economics, Peking University
- Associate Professor, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University (2016-present)
- Assistant Professor, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University (2011-2016)
- Lecturer, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University (2009-2011)
- Business-government relations, political connections
- Interorganizational network and organizational outcomes
- Corporate governance
- Innovative capability building
Dr. Zhu has served as a referee for journals including Asian Business and Management, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, Corporate Governance: An International Review, International Journal of Emerging Markets, Journal of Business Research, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of World Business, Management and Organization Review, Organization Science, and Strategic Management Journal.
- Mahmood, I.P., Zhu, H., and Zaheer A. 2016. Centralization of intragroup equity ties and performance of business group affiliates. Strategic Management Journal, forthcoming.
- Zhu, H., and Yoshikawa, T. 2016. Contingent value of director identification: The role of government directors in monitoring and resource provision in an emerging economy. Strategic Management Journal, 37(8): 1787-1807.
- Zhu, H., Wang, P., and Bart, C. 2016. Board processes, board strategic involvement and organizational performance in for-profit and non-profit organizations. Journal of Business Ethics, 136(2): 311-328.
- Mahmood, I.P., and Zhu, H. 2015. Whether and how network structure shapes the value of firm capabilities? Review of Economics and Institutions, 6(1), Winter-Spring.
- Zhu, H., and Chung, C.N. 2014. Portfolios of political ties and business group strategy in emerging economies: Evidence from Taiwan. Administrative Science Quarterly, 59(4): 599-638.
- Yoshikawa, T., Zhu, H., and Wang, P. 2014. National governance system, corporate ownership, and roles of outside directors. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 22(3): 252-265
- Zhu, H., Jin, Y. J., Kang, T., and Wu, Y. 2014. Do political ties increase firms’ foreign expansion? Evidence from private Chinese firms. Journal of Contemporary Management, 3(1): 1-12.
- Mahmood, I.P., Zhu, H., and Zajac, E. 2011. Where can capability come from? Network ties and capability acquisition in business groups. Strategic Management Journal, 32: 820-848.