The DeGroote Experience Fund (“The Fund”) was established through the generosity of donors to fund Bachelor of Commerce and MBA students at the DeGroote School of Business in experiential learning opportunities that augment classroom learning.
The Fund will be used for any of the following purposes:
- Major national and international conferences, competitions and events (budget over $20,000) organized and hosted by DeGroote students (e.g. the DeGroote Case Competition). The event must first be approved by the Dean.
- National and international case competitions hosted by other schools or organizations in which teams of DeGroote students compete (first consideration will go to competitions with a long history of DeGroote participation including John Molson MBA Case Competition, the Manitoba International Marketing Case Competition and JDC).
- External competitions, conferences and extra-curricular activities that complement in-class learning, undertaken by teams or individual students (eg. Impact Apprentice, DECA U).
Case competitions: All reasonable expenses for case competitions can be covered, including registration fees, travel and accommodation. It is expected that faculty advisors and student participants will make every effort to minimize expenses with the goal of keeping expenses below $5,000.
Major DeGroote events (budget over $20,000): Limited funding will be allocated to providing start-up support to major conferences, competitions and events organized by DeGroote students if sponsorship secured from external sponsors does not cover full costs. Funding will decrease as initiatives gain momentum. It is expected that by the completion of the third year, initiatives should be self-sustaining (either cost-recovery or profit-making).
- Written requests must be submitted by the individual or group through the Advancement Office, following approval in principle from the Dean’s Office (for DSB-hosted events).
- All requests must include a written plan, including a budget and a rationale to demonstrate how the initiative aligns with the goal of the school to build national and international reputation, and/or enhances in-class learning. Requests must also state any other funding sources.
- The DeGroote Experience Committee evaluates requests as they come in, using the terms of reference and according to donor funding available on an annual basis. Applicants will be informed in a timely manner whether their request has been approved or denied.
- Students receiving funding must submit a detailed evaluation form after their event initiative or risk being disqualified for future funding.
- Every effort will be made to support as many initiatives as possible; however funding may be limited depending on donor commitments in a given year.
DeGroote Experience Committee
The DeGroote Experience Committee will include the Associate Dean-Undergraduate Programs, MBA Director and the Director of Advancement.
The DeGroote Experience Committee (through the Director of Advancement) will provide a written report of expenditures and results of funding on an annual basis to donors of The Fund and make the report available to students, faculty and staff of DeGroote.