Dr. Kevin Veenstra - PhD, CA, CPA, CMA, CFA
- Accounting and Financial Management Services
Dr. Veenstra is a Chartered Professional Accountant (Ontario) and a CFA charter holder. He earned his CA/CMA designations while working in the audit practice at Ernst & Young LLP (Kitchener). Subsequent to leaving Ernst & Young LLP, he worked in the internal audit department at Wal-Mart Canada and in the corporate accounting department at Canadian Tire.
Kevin is a member of the American Accounting Association and the Canadian Academic Accounting Association and has delivered numerous workshops and led seminars in accounting.
- PhD, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto (2013)
- MAcc, University of Waterloo (2001)
- Bachelor of Arts, Honours, University of Waterloo (2000)
“Welcome to the Gray Zone: Shades of Honesty and Financial Misreporting” with Pascale Lapointe-Antunes (Brock University), Kareen Brown (Brock University) and Heather Li (Nanyang Business School); Journal of Business Ethics, forthcoming. Download
“Gender and beauty in the financial analyst profession: evidence from the United States and China” with Congcong Li (Singapore Management University), An-Ping Lin (Singapore Management University) and Hai Lu (University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management); Review of Accounting Studies, forthcoming. Download
“The Moderating Effect of Cultural Values on the Relationship between Corporate Social Performance and Corporate Financial Performance” with Wei Shi (University of Miami); Journal of Business Ethics, forthcoming. Download
“CEO Implicit Motives: Their Impact on Firm Performance” sole authored; Behavioral Research in Accounting, forthcoming. Download
“Is Sin Always a Sin? The Interaction Effect of Social Norms and Financial Incentives on Market Participants’ Behavior” with Yanju Liu and Hai Lu; Accounting, Organizations and Society 39(4): 289-307.Download
“Managers’ Cost of Equity Capital Estimates: Empirical Evidence” with Stephannie Larocque and Alastair Lawrence; Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 33(3): 382-401.Download
“Home Capital Group – The High Cost of Dishonesty” with Kareen Brown; Accounting Perspectives, 35(2): 307-322.Download
“Beauty and Academic Career” with Yanju Liu (Singapore Management University) and Hai Lu (University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management). Download
“Multi-Year PEAD: Predictive and Feedback Insights” with A. William Richardson (McMaster University). Download
“Irrational Exuberance? Investor Reactions to CEO Positive Framing in Acquisition Announcements” with Conor Callahan (Rice University), Gerry McNamara (Michigan State University) and Wei Shi (University of Miami).
Selected Research Funding
- Grant – SSHRC Insight Development Grant (principal investigator) Funding – $59,808, “The Impact of Temporary Workers on Firm Performance”
- Grant – SSHRC Insight Development Grant (principal investigator)Funding – $44,080,“Exploring the Fraud Triangle’s Third Dimension: Rationalization as Revealed by CEO/CFO Verbal and Visual Cues”
- Grant – SSHRC Insight Development Grant (co-investigator) Funding – $56,920,“Mainstreaming Social Responsible Investing: A Retail Investing Exploration