1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Fariba joined the DeGroote PhD program in September 2015. She successfully defended her research proposal in September 2016 and is currently working towards defending her degree.
Fariba’s program of research is focused on the use of new technologies for impression management and place branding. She has adapted a multidisciplinary lens that integrates the fields of information systems, marketing, strategy and urban geography. More specifically, she investigates how to use innovative technologies (e.g. digital storytelling, proximity based technologies, and social media) to influence people’s perception of a place and raise interest and awareness.
Fariba has background in both Engineering (B.Eng, M.Sc.) and Business (MBA). Moreover, she has more than 10 years of working experience in the research and industry environment, which helps her take a practical, real-world approach to her research.
Supervisor: Brian Detlor
- PhD in Business Administration (ABD), DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University
- MBA, Program and Project Management, APIC, Australia
- MSc. Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
- BSc. Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
Selected Publications and Presentations
Peer Reviewed Conference paper:
- Detlor, B., Nosrati, F., & Crippa, C. (2017). Digital Storytelling and the Use of iBeacon Technologies by Libraries: How to Promote Citizen Interest in a City and its Cultural Heritage, Proceedings of the i3 (information: interactions and impact) Conference, Aberdeen, Scotland, June 27-30.
- Nosrati, F., Detlor, B., & Crippa, C. (2017). The Use of iBeacon Proximity-Based Technologies by Libraries to Foster City Cultural Heritage, Proceedings of the Canadian Association of Information Science (CAIS) 2017 Conference, Toronto, Ontario, May 31-June 2.
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2016). The strategic use of digital storytelling for place branding, Proceedings of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) 2016 Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, June 4-6.
- Nosrati, F., Lak, P., & Bener, A. (2014). Competency Based Education in Data Science and Big Data Analytics, Proceedings of the Big Data & Analytics Education Conference,
- Nosrati, F., Bener, A., & Uyar, A. (2014). Investigating the Stability of Housekeeping Genes Using Microarray Datasets, Proceedings of the International Conference on Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (BIOCOMP) (p. 1). The Steering Committee of the World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Applied Computing (WorldComp), USA.
Research Project Report:
- Nosrati, F., & Mashayekhy, M. (2015). Big Data Analytics in Marketing: A Competency Based Framework for Marketing Professionals
- Nosrati, F. (2015). Use of digital Storytelling for Strategic Place Branding.
- Nosrati, F. (2015). Business Intelligence and Big Data: Challenges and opportunities from data mining perspective.
- Nosrati, F., Samarikhalaj, A., & Lak, P. (2014). A Self-Organizing Dynamic Network Model to Increase the Efficiency of Outdoor Digital Billboards (Dynamic pricing approach).
- Nosrati, F. (2014). Patient Flow Performance Information Assessment
Work in Progress/working paper:
- Nosrati, F., Crippa, C. & Detlor, B. (2017). Using Proximity-Based Technologies by city cultural organizations for place branding
- Nosrati, F., & Detlor, B. (2017). The strategic use of digital storytelling for place branding: a case study of “Love your City, Share your Story” digital storytelling project in Hamilton, Canada.
DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University:
- Nosrati, F. (2017). DeGroote research day. The Use of iBeacon Proximity-Based Technologies.
- Nosrati, F. (2017). K795 PhD course guest lecturer. Qualitative Research Using Dedoose Software.
- Nosrati, F. (2017). 4KF3 undergraduate course guest lecturer. Project Planning Using Microsoft Project Software.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). DeGroote IS Lunch and Learn. Digital Storytelling: A Case Study of Hamilton’s Digital Storytelling Initiative.
Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship, McMaster University:
- Nosrati, F. (2016). The Use of Digital Storytelling for Impression Management by City Cultural Organizations
PMQA (Persica Management and Quality Association):
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Introduction to Big Data.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Automotive Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Healthcare Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Government.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Travel and Transportation Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Financial Markets.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Retail Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Telecommunication Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Consumer Products Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Banking and Insurance Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Oil & Gas Industry and Energy & Utility.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Education Industry.
- Nosrati, F. (2016). Big Data Application in Media Industry.
Sessional Faculty/ Instructor/ Lecturer:
- Commerce 4KF3: Project Management, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University.
- MKT 100: Principles of Marketing, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University.
- MKT 700: Business Intelligence/Data Modelling, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University.
- CKME 130: Introduction to Big Data Analytics, Chang School, Ryerson University.
- Project Management: AIRIC research & Innovation Center.
- Professional Project Management: Rahbaran Managerial Training.
Pedagogic Innovation and/or Development of Technology-Enhanced Learning:
- Incorporation of online learning activities in courses
- Development and use of online tools for teaching (e.g., D2L Brightspace, McGraw-Hill Connect, Blackboard, Avenue2Learn, Lynda.com, WebEx, Camtasia). This includes conversion of 4KF3 “Project Management” to an online/blended format and use of McGraw-Hill’s Connect.
- K795 PhD course: Qualitative Research Using Dedoose Software. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University. Winter 2017.
- 4KF3 undergraduate course: Project Planning Using Microsoft Project Software. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University. Winter2017.
- K731: Project management
- 4KF3: Project management
- MKT 700: Business intelligence/data modelling
- ITM 102: Business information systems
- ITM 107: Managerial decision making
- ITM 330: Supply chain management
- ITM 410: Business process design
- ITM 500: Data and Information Management
- ITM 750: IT project management
- IND 708: Information systems analysis and design