Experiencing stress and tension is an unfortunate fact of life. As if managing personal life stressors was not enough! Stress has a way of sometimes feeling like you are spinning out of control with the demands of the program, not to mention the uncertainty of the continued pandemic circumstances. The good news is that all these emotions can be controlled and managed with practice.
Some of us feel more overwhelmed by stress than others. Of course, what else is on your plate plays a role but stress is part of our human experience. Even if everything on our to-do list was checked off, there are other circumstances that we cannot control that trigger our stress response. Just think for a moment, when was the last time you actually had nothing to be concerned or worried about?
How can you stay grounded and manage stress and anxiety?
- Take control of what you can such as implementing a good time management system. Tackle one thing at a time; over thinking leads to all that panic.
- Be kind to yourself, fit in short breaks, stretch and do not forget those deep breathes that naturally calms your central nervous system. And take note, this is not the time to skip out on sleep!
- Stress cannot be handled very well with inconsistent sleep and routines.
- Drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet and fitting in some exercise are all things you can do to support yourself during stress.
- Avoid too much sugar, caffeine and alcohol.
Looking for more support?
- Schedule a confidential virtual appointment with your Wellness Counsellors – Brenda Scott or Deena Dulabh – by emailing email@example.com. They can provide strategies to help calm anxiety and create space to help you focus on what is needed.