“Even a negative situation still holds potential to produce a positive purpose!”
In life, disappointment and unpredictability is inevitable. While you cannot always control what happens to you, you can always control how you respond and react to it. When surrounded by negativity, it can be difficult to stay motivated. By creating a positive environment for yourself, it is easier to remain focused and productive. A few simple tips to keep in mind are:
- Take control over what you can, rather than worrying about circumstances beyond your control.
- Read and listen to positive information which increases your emotional development and encourages creative expression.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Connecting with people whether in person or virtually, is a great release!
- Engaging in movement activities increases dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins. Releasing these hormones in the brain contributes to wellbeing, happiness and regulates anxiety.
- Learn from your mistakes by evaluating your progress. Identify situations that you have handled well and what you could do differently. Develop a morning routine spending some time alone, processing your thoughts and emotions.
- Celebrate your successes – big and small. Rewarding your achievements helps to keep you motivated.
- Identify your support system. Having the right people to seek support from, plays a huge part in maintaining positivity, motivation and increasing your productivity.
Positivity and happiness have a significant impact on the overall quality of our lives. Incorporating even a few of the simple suggestions above, can help increase your motivation and energy, contributing to you achieving your academic goals!!
Are you a full-time student looking for more support?
- Schedule a confidential virtual appointment with Brenda or Deena by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. They can provide strategies to help calm anxiety and create space to help you focus on what is needed.
- Good2Talk: Confidential support services for post-secondary students in Ontario.
- The Big White Wall: A free online mental health and wellbeing service
- MindShift CBT – Anxiety Canada: The new MindShift™ CBT app uses scientifically proven strategies based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to help learn to relax and be mindful, develop more effective ways of thinking, and use active steps to take charge of your anxiety
- Bounce Back: A free online mental wellness resource managed by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)
- BeThere: Can help you support anyone through a mental health struggle