If you’ve just booked your first virtual academic advising appointment, you may be wondering: “what is it going to be like?” or “how can I prepare?”
How can I prepare for my Academic Advising Zoom appointment?
- Write down a list of questions you want to ask ahead of time. Prioritize these questions during the meeting to help make sure your most important questions get addressed!
- Review your degree requirements on your Advisement Report to have a snapshot of what courses you are currently outstanding in the program.
- Review our new FAQ page for common questions our team gets asked about! You can use this as a ‘building block’ for your conversation with the Advisor.
What to expect in your Academic Advising Zoom appointment:
- Please check your automated confirmation email you received from OSCARplus upon booking for the Zoom link and details.
- Tip: It is best to be ready 5 minutes early to ensure you are ready to go at your selected time!
- You will wait in the “Waiting Room” until the Advisor is ready for the appointment. Remember, your Advising appointment can be up to 30 minutes in length!
- Once your appointment begins, your Advisor will likely ask some of the following questions to start off the appointment:
- How can I help you today?
- I see you have a question about a certain topic. Let’s start there and then answer any other questions you may have.
- If you need more time or require an additional appointment, that is fine! You can easily book another appointment via OSCARplus.
Remember, Commerce students have a wide variety of questions, and our Academic Advisors have heard (almost!) all of them. There is no question that is too big or small to ask an Advisor about, we are here to help!
Looking for a quick answer to a more general question? Check out the new BCom FAQ!