The University recognizes that students periodically require relief from academic work for medical or other personal
What you need to know about the MSAF:
- Applies only to work that is due within the period for which the request applies, i.e. the 3-day period that is specified in the MSAF; however, all work due in that period can be covered by one MSAF
- Cannot be used:
- To meet a religious obligation or to celebrate an important religious holiday (see RISO process below)
- For academic work that has already been completed or attempted. Attempting online work INCLUDES opening a test/quiz on Avenue to Learn or other platform
- To apply for relief for any final examination or its equivalent
MSAF: Requesting Relief for Missed Course Work Worth 24% or Less
- The MSAF tool is now available in MOSAIC Student Center in the drop down menu under Other Academics. To submit a Request for Relief (via MSAF) for missed academic work worth 24% or less resulting from medical or personal situations lasting up to three calendar days:
- Use the MSAF (McMaster Student Absence Form) on-line self-reporting tool (no further documentation is required)
- Students may only submit a Request for Relief using the MSAF tool once per term
an automated email will be sent to the course instructor, who will determine the appropriate relief. Students must
- Immediately follow up with their instructors. Failure to do so may negate the opportunity for relief.
- Students experiencing technical difficulties at the time of the test should contact their instructor or designate IMMEDIATELY and should not submit a Request for Relief (via MSAF).
Notification of Absence Form: Requesting Relief for Missed Course Work Worth 25% or Higher
- Fill out the Notification of Absence form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. You have five (5) business days from the date of the missed course work to complete this process.
Religious, Indigenous or Spiritual Observances (RISO)
Students who require accommodations to meet Religious, Indigenous or Spiritual Observances (RISO) are expected to read the University Policy & Procedures and submit a RISO Form accordingly for the accommodation needed.